- Label your device with your name.
- Label your carrying case. Some students have used a luggage tag for this purpose.
- Label the power cord, too!
- Be cautious about leaving your device unattended anywhere that there is a chance it could easily be knocked onto the floor, sat on, or stepped on.
- Know that dropping, jostling, or bumping your device could cause damage.
- Do not place drinks next to your device. One accidental spill could damage it, possibly beyond repair.
- Always hold your device with two hands.
- Do not store your device in very cold or warm places.
- Do not scratch or push on the screen.
- If you have a laptop or a Chromebook, never close the lid on a pencil or pen left on the keyboard (could crack the screen).
- Gently close the lids of laptops and Chromebooks.
- Always transport your device in a padded carry case, and never stack items on top of it.
- Stickers leave a residue that can cause permanent damage.
- Clean the screen with a lint-free cloth; you can use window cleaner on the cloth if needed.
- Be careful when removing the power cord from an electrical outlet, and never yank it out from afar. Do not wrap the cord tightly around itself. Instead, loosely wrap it in a figure eight pattern.
Important for PC devices!
- Downloaded software and screensavers often cause conflicts and use valuable memory. Remember that the laptop is a tool for learning and keeping it free of extras will keep it working quicker with less freezing.
- Beware of Spyware. Spyware is software designed to collect computer users' personal data without their knowledge. Spyware is secretly installed with many downloaded Internet software programs, and transmits information about computer usage and generates pop-up advertisements. Microsoft estimates that spyware is responsible for half of all PC crashes.
Routine PC Laptop Maintenance
- Set virus protection software to download and install updates automatically.
- Set virus protection software to enable virus realtime protection.
- Perform weekly virus scans.
- Set your computer to automatically download any newly released Windows updates.
Performing these tasks will help keep your device working properly, and will help protect your investment. Parents, regular reminders from you will help! Thanks.