Hickory Woods Parents

Incoming Kindergarten Information

If you have an incoming Kindergarten student for the 2018-19 school year, please contact our main office (248.956.2600) to be placed on our incoming Kindergarten list. Please see below for a list on upcoming events for incoming Kindergarten students and parents.

  • Kindergarten Orientation - for parents on incoming Kindergarten students on March 13 at 6:30 pm at your learner's home school.  
  • Activity Night - Hickory Woods will be hosting an Activity Night for incoming Kindergarten learners and parents on May 23 at 6:00 pm.

Please visit our district page for further information regarding Kindergarten Enrollment.  Be sure to view the Kindergarten Orientation presentation for information and videos about our Kindergarten programs offered through Walled Lake.

Enrollment Information Hotline: 248-956-5250

Kindergarten students need to be age 5 by September 1 of the school year in which you are enrolling.  If your child will not be 5 by Sept 1 (but will be 5 by December 1), you will need to contact the district to complete a waiver to enroll your child in Kindergarten.  If you are unsure about your child's readiness, please click HERE for a chart of Kindergarten readiness skills and be sure to view the district website for orientation information.

All students enrolling in Kindergarten must have a vision screening completed between the ages of 3-5, prior to entering Kindergarten.  Free vision screening, by appointment, is available to Oakland County residents at two Health Division offices and at the Walled Lake Community Education Center.  Please call 248-424-7070 to set an appointment for your child.

HWE Fifth Grade Camp Information

Fifth Grade Camp for the 2017-18 School Year will be:

  • March 19-21 (Bruce/George)
  • March 21-23 (Burrill/Titus

The camp open house visit at the Walled Lake Outdoor Education Center will be held January 24 from 5-7 PM.  Please click HERE for more information.

Please return the following forms from the camp packet by February 28 (ALL STUDENTS):

  • Permission to Attend
  • Medical Care Authorization for Minor Child

Parent volunteers will be determined by a lottery system.  Please complete your volunteer preferences and return the appropriate form with your criminal history form by February 8.

If your child takes medication during the school day, we will send that medication to camp.  If your child takes medication outside of the school day, including over the counter medications, you must have your doctor complete the Authorization to Administer Medication paperwork and return it to the main office on or before by Febraury 28 (only if your child needs medication during camp).  Medication must be in the original packaging and placed in a plastic bag with your child's name clearly marked.

Payment Information:

Camp is $140 per student.  A second child attending camp with HWE costs $110.

We are asking that all families complete their camp registration this year by using the eFunds program to pay for their child's camp experience if you are able.  You can access the eFunds program through the district website or through Family Access.  Please see below for registration instructions, the eFunds Parent Guide, and video tutorials regarding this process.

Registration Instructions

eFunds Parent Guide

Setting up eFunds (video)

Finding student ID (video)

This experience is a wonderful opportunity for all of our students.  If you have any questions, please contact your child's teacher.  If you need financial assistance with the cost of camp, please contact Mrs. Chinn.

Math Course Skipping Information

Any student in grades 2-5 interested in taking a test to determine if they are ready to skip the next course in their math sequence should read this document.  Students in grades K and 1 that feel they may qualify for math advancement should contact their classroom teacher.

Part 1 of the testing will occur after school at Hickory Woods on Monday, April 16.  Students must sign-up by March 29 and must be registered to participate.  If you do not have computer access, please stop by the main office for a test application.