Arrival & Dismissal Procedures
As you know, we are firmly committed to student safety, and we regularly review our procedures and practices. Below you will find key information regarding our student arrival and dismissal.
Essentially, students fall into one of the three categories for their transportation needs:
Wildcat Pickup/Office Pickup
DROP Off: If you are driving your student to school in the morning, please use our drop-off & pickup loop located at the main north entrance (by the office) of the building. Pull as far forward as possible to keep the traffic flow moving. Students should be ready with their belongings to exit the vehicle and should exit only from the passenger side. Never allow children to exit on the driver’s side; they will be in the path of parking lot traffic. Please be aware of any traffic back-ups. After drop off, we ask that you turn right to keep the traffic moving. Staff and student safeties will be outside to assist.
BUS RIDERS: Students riding the bus will be dropped off in the bus loop and allowed off the bus just before the first bell. Students getting breakfast will be allowed off the bus a minute or two earlier. PLEASE NOTE: Please refer to the district’s transportation hot-line (248-956-5199) for information regarding any late buses.
First Bell: The first bell rings at 8:50 a.m. At that time students will enter the building. Students purchasing breakfast will enter a few minutes earlier and go directly to the cafeteria. An adult, and/or 5th grade safeties will make an announcement for students to enter to get their breakfast. All other students need to wait for the 8:50 bell to ring.
Second Bell: The second bell rings at 8:55 a.m. Students should be in their classrooms and/or getting breakfast. Our school doors lock at 9:00 a.m. After that, use the buzzer to gain access to the building. Students entering after 8:55 a.m. are marked tardy.
The end of the day bell rings at 4:02 p.m. We stagger our dismissal process, beginning at 3:57 with one minute intervals listed below.
- Wildcat Pickup & Kindergarten students
- Walkers, Office pickups & Prime Time
- Grades 1 & 4
- Grades 2 & 3
- Grade 5
WALKERS: Only those students who live within a mile from the school and not assigned a bus are allowed to walk. When leaving school property with or without adult support, families do not have to sign out at the office at the end of the day. Walkers are also eligible for Wildcat Pickup. Walkers meeting a family member or other walker should meet under the awning by the main north entrance. At dismissal, students will look for the sign marked Walkers Meet Here.
WILDCAT PICKUP: This is a system setup for walkers, transfer, and school of choice students. In some cases we set up Wildcat Pickup for extenuating circumstances. Please contact Mrs. Fiebke-Lang. All Wildcat Pickup families have a number issued for the 2015-2016 school year. Students will have a number attached to their backpack that matches the number on the family car. If your family fits the criteria for Wildcat Pickup, an application must be filled out. Applications are part of our online registration process. Applications can also be requested by calling the office or sending in a note. .
Wildcat Pickup students will be dismissed to room #9 and wait for their number to be called. Please pull as far forward as possible to avoid cars waiting on Decker Rd. Number signs should be visable in the passenger window. If you do not have a sign, please park and come to the office to sign your student out. Students will load only from the passenger side. Staff and student safeties will be outside to assist.
PRIME TIME: Students who attend Prime Time Care, our before and after school program, will be dismissed at the same time as walkers and office pick-up. Information and an application can be found on the WLCSD website or in the Guest office.
OCCASIONAL PICKUP: If parents need to pick up due to an appointment or change in schedule/routine and are not registered for Wildcat Pickup, they follow the practices below:
- Send a note to the teacher (and Prime Time if applicable)
- Discuss any dismissal changes with your student
- Early appointment pickup – Park and come to office to sign your student. The secretary will call him/her down to the office. PLEASE NOTE: if students are picked up before the end-of-day bell, it is considered an Early Dismissal and is treated as a tardy.
- Appointment pickup at the end of the day - Park and come to the office to sign your student. Inform the secretary, who will alert the teacher. Please exit the building and wait by the Walkers’ Sign under the awning. Remember to discuss any changes with your student.
- Due to the amount of students exiting by the main doors, we want to avoid any congestion to provie a safe and efficient dismissal. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
BUS RIDERS: Students who ride the bus will be dismissed by grade levels and will exit from the south end doors with their teachers leading them.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS:
The south end exit is only for Bus Riders. Walkers, Wildcat Pickup, or occasional pickup must use the main north end of the building. As mentioned above, we ask for your cooperation to wait outside under the awning due to the volume of traffic, congestion in the main hallway, and to ensure an efficient and safe exit process.
Reminder: Whenever there is a change in your child’s dismissal procedure, please send a note and call the main office. If you use Prime Time, they also need to be notified. Additionally, we will not release any student to an adult unless they are on the Emergency Card. Please plan accordingly. If you have a last minute change, call the office before 3:15 pm.
Entering the Building - We ask that you do not enter the building during our arrival and dismissal procedure. Please wait outside the main doors and do not come in the South Entrance for any reason.
Bus Loop: The front circular drive (bus loop) is closed to traffic except buses during arrival and dismissal times.
DROP OFF AND PICK UP LOOP REMINDERS:
- Stay in the right lane and keep moving forward until your student(s) are loaded.
- Avoid letting your student exit the vehicle until you have entered the circle area (LOOP) where adults can assist; especially children in grades K-3.
- Do not get out of your car; adults will help open and close doors and assist your student.
- It is important that students get in and out of the vehicle on the passenger side.
- Please do not honk your horn because someone is taking too long. Parents are securing seat belts, etc. This honking of car horns causes panic. It does help if you pull as far forward as possible and then assist your student.
- Please help teach your children to secure their seat belts without assistance.
- Please show patience and be courteous.
- We ask that all parents refrain from using cell phones while students are walking in the parking lot.
- When traffic is getting backed up it is helpful if you make a RIGHT turn out of the school parking lot.
- Take turns entering and exiting.
- Drop-offs and pickups should ONLY occur at the main (north) entrance.
It is extremely important that you have a daily discussion with your student regarding dismissal plans. Thank you for your partnership. Your support will help us maintain orderly, organized procedures that will make a difference in ensuring our children are accounted for and safe during arrival and dismissal.