5th Annual Youth Suicide Prevention Community Discussion 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM5th Annual Youth Suicide Prevention Community DiscussionMay 248:30 AM to 12:30 PMTroy Community Center, 3179 Livernois Rd, Troy, MIDistrict Calendar
The Oakland County Youth Suicide Prevention Task Force will host “Preventing Suicide through Means Restriction” on Wednesday, May 24, 2017, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.,” Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson announced today. The event will be held at the Troy Community Center, 3179 Livernois Rd, Troy, MI. Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard is the keynote speaker and will discuss strategies including safe storage of firearms and medications. Community members and professionals interested in suicide prevention are encouraged to attend.
“Suicide is the second leading cause of death for individuals aged 10–24 both nationally and in Oakland County,” said Leigh-Anne Stafford, health officer for Oakland County Health Division. “This year’s focus on means restriction, or limiting access to lethal means of suicide, is an important part of our overall approach to suicide prevention.”
The discussion will also include a presentation by OK2SAY, a program designed to empower Michigan students, parents, school personnel, community mental health service programs, and law enforcement to respond to student safety threats. Additionally, a panel comprised of experts from law enforcement, clinical mental health, and schools will further discuss means restriction. Registration is open and encouraged at www.oakgov.com/health.
“An event is hosted every year to ensure we work together as a community to find solutions to prevent youth suicide in Oakland County,” said Sheriff Michael Bouchard. “This year, we are encouraging residents to lock up firearms, prescription drugs, and other lethal means to make their home suicide-safe.”
For up-to-date public health information, visit www.oakgov.com/health or find Public Health Oakland on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest @publichealthOC.
Financial Aid Information Night 6:00 PM to 8:00 PMFinancial Aid Information NightMay 246:00 PM to 8:00 PMWalled Lake Western High SchoolDistrict Calendar
No School for Students or Staff - Memorial DayMay 29District Calendar
WLCSD Board Meeting 7:30 PMWLCSD Board MeetingJun 17:30 PMDistrict Calendar
WLCSD Board Recognition begins at 7:00 p.m., Regular Meeting scheduled to begin after Board Recognition.
Site: Educational Services Center Board Room
OPE 50th Anniversary Celebration!Jun 2Oakley Park ElementaryDistrict Calendar
Pleasant Lake News
This has been an exciting year for the PLE School Community. I wanted to take a moment to share some of the wonderful things we have accomplished instructionally this school year with your support!
- Pleasant Lake Elementary's Statewide Percentile Rank the last several years:
2014/2015- (percentile rank unavailable due to the transition from the MEAP to the M-STEP)
Our School is now ranked in the top 20% of all schools in the State of Michigan!
- Pleasant Lake Elementary is a Leader in Me Lighthouse School and once again hosted visitors on Leadership Day from Michigan and surrounding states. There are over 3,000 Leader in Me schools across the globe and only 289 Lighthouse Schools. There are roughly a dozen Lighthouse Schools in Michigan.
- We have been asked to present at this year’s National Principal’s Conference regarding our Response to Intervention Process (RTI) Process and School Literacy Interventions. This is the second time we have been asked to present at the national conference.
- Our school is included in the Reading Recovery of Council of North America’s brochure that is being dispersed at this year’s National Principal’s Conference.
- An article in the May/June edition of the Principal will include Pleasant Lake Elementary and our work with Literacy Instruction. The Principal is a national magazine for educators. PLE staff and administration have been included in national and state literacy publications several times this year.
- Later this month we will be facilitating a national webinar pertaining to Comprehensive Literacy. This is one of several national webinars that PLE Staff and Administration have recently participated in. It is our goal to assist other educators and adminsitrators across the country.
- Pleasant Lake Elementary received one of only two awards that were handed out at the Reading Recovery State Conference this year.
- PLE Staff and Administration will be presenting at this year’s Oakland County Effective Practices Conference in June.
The entire Pleasant Lake Elementary Staff would like to thank you for assisting us in reaching our goal of continuous school improvement and providing your child with an exceptional education. We are proud of the work we have done but are always looking for ways to better service our school community. It is a true pleasure to have you and your child a part of the PLE School Community!
Together We Learn, Together We Lead!
Nayal A. Maktari
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
Main Line: 248-956-2800
Fax Line: 248-956-2805
Drop off: 8:50 AM
Late Bell: 8:55 AM
Dismissal: 3:58 PM
Departure: 4:05 PM
1/2 Day Departure: 12:09 PM