Kirk Pedersen’s Powder to the People 5k run/walkApr 29Walled Lake Central High SchoolDistrict Calendar
Walled Lake Central High School is proud to put on their second annual Kirk Pedersen’s Powder to the People 5k run/walk. For those of you unfamiliar with the event, it is a 5k that takes place on the roads near Walled Lake Central High School. This event will benefit former WL Central teacher, Kirk Pederson.
On October 25, 2008 Kirk’s life came to a crashing halt. The tree stand he was using collapsed while hunting, leaving him paralyzed from the shoulders down. Kirk would endure seven months of hospitalization at three different hospitals. His goal was a full recovery and a return to teaching in the profession he loved. Despite continued rehabilitation and determination, his recovery resulted in a fashion that did not allow him to return to teaching in the classroom. Kirk continues to be an inspiring and motivated person despite his numerous setbacks.
Now Kirk is scheduled for another surgery that will leave him on bed rest for 2-3 months. This is not only physically challenging but mentally too. To help him get through this rough time, there is a special device that will prevent muscle atrophy. It is a device meant to be worn, that will use electric impulses to stimulate his muscles by expanding and contracting them to give him a form of exercise that is so important to Mr. Pedersen. Last year’s run we were able to give him $3,000 to use for rehabilitation and any other needs he might have. While we are so proud of how the community came together, we are aiming to surpass last year's goal in support of kirk, but also to support someone's friend, someone's family and most importantly someone in need of your help.
Location: Walled Lake Central High School
Date: April 29, 2017
Price: both include T-shirt
- 10 & under:$20
- 11 & up: $30
Register online now!
Or visit their FaceBook page:
Fill That Bus! 9:00 AM to 1:00 PMFill That Bus!Apr 299:00 AM to 1:00 PMDistrict Calendar
Join our community, bus drivers and attendants to help feed our neighbors in need.
DONATIONS BENEFIT HOSPITALITY HOUSE FOOD PANTRY
SATURDAY, April 29, 2017
9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
At your local Kroger stores:
- At the corner of Commerce Rd. and Union Lake Rd.
- At the corner of Beck Rd. and Pontiac Trail
National Take Back Day 10:00 AM to 2:00 PMNational Take Back DayApr 2910:00 AM to 2:00 PMWest Bloomfield Police Dept. (4530 Walnut Lake Road)District Calendar
WLMS Football Bowling Fundraiser 1:00 PM to 4:00 PMWLMS Football Bowling FundraiserApr 291:00 PM to 4:00 PMWonderland Lanes (8265 Richardson Road, Commerce Twp.)District Calendar
Glengary Marimba Team PerformanceMay 17:00 PMWalled Lake Northern High SchoolDistrict Calendar
Glengary’s Musical teams invite you to an evening of fun!
The Marvelous Marimba team will be playing marimba and Orff instruments in the Zimbabwean style. The We Dance The World Folk Dance Team will perform dances from Sweden, England, Israel, Russia, India and Belgium.
Yes, there will be a chance for the audience to participate! So join the giant conga line for all, and warm up your “swing your partner” for an audience 7th song stretch your legs dance!
Monday, May 1 at Walled Lake Northern’s auditorium. 7:00 p.m. Show
Doors open to the public at 6:30 p.m. Free Admission. Donations only.
Chasing the Dragon: A Community Discussion on Opiate and Heroin Addiction/AbuseMay 2Novi Middle School Auditorium (49000 West 11 Mile Road Novi, MI 48374)District Calendar
WLN Senior All Night Party Alex and Ani Fundraiser 6:00 PM to 9:00 PMWLN Senior All Night Party Alex and Ani FundraiserMay 26:00 PM to 9:00 PM12 Oaks MallDistrict Calendar
The Walled Lake Northern Senior All Night Party is holding a Fundraiser at Alex and Ani in 12 Oaks Mall on May 2nd from 6-9pm, Refreshments will be served! 15% of all proceeds from the evening will be given back to the Walled Lake Northern Senior all Night Party to keep our kids safe! This is a great time to get Graduation Gifts as well as Mothers Day gifts!!
Pleasant Lake News
Dear PLE Families,
Our PLE staff will be playing in a Staff Volleyball Challenge to benefit the Make A Wish Foundation and a local family. The volleyball match will take place on Monday, May 8th at Walled Lake Northern High School.
The Volleyball Game starts at 6:30 p.m. and the Volleyball Clinic begins at 5:30 p.m.
Our PLE staff will be playing with the staff of Keith, Pleasant Lake, and also from our ESC building including Mr. Gutman, Mr. Hess, and Mrs. Les.
We look forward to not only a fun evening but to also come together and make a child’s wish come true. Please bring your entire family to cheer on the terrific PLE staff!
Please click HERE for the Volleyball Game Flyer with full details on the event and to RSVP.
Please click HERE for the Poms clinic.
We will also have PLE Spirit Wear for sale, including our one of a kind “Shark Attack” t-shirts and Poms. Lastly we do need volunteers to make this a special evening for our school community. Please click on the link below if you can volunteer on May 8th.
Thank you for supporting our children, staff, community and the Make A Wish Foundation.
This has been an exciting year for the PLE School Community. I wanted to take a moment to share some of the wonderful things we have accomplished instructionally this school year with your support!
- Pleasant Lake Elementary's Statewide Percentile Rank the last several years:
2014/2015- (percentile rank unavailable due to the transition from the MEAP to the M-STEP)
Our School is now ranked in the top 20% of all schools in the State of Michigan!
- Pleasant Lake Elementary is a Leader in Me Lighthouse School and once again hosted visitors on Leadership Day from Michigan and surrounding states. There are over 3,000 Leader in Me schools across the globe and only 289 Lighthouse Schools. There are roughly a dozen Lighthouse Schools in Michigan.
- We have been asked to present at this year’s National Principal’s Conference regarding our Response to Intervention Process (RTI) Process and School Literacy Interventions. This is the second time we have been asked to present at the national conference.
- Our school is included in the Reading Recovery of Council of North America’s brochure that is being dispersed at this year’s National Principal’s Conference.
- An article in the May/June edition of the Principal will include Pleasant Lake Elementary and our work with Literacy Instruction. The Principal is a national magazine for educators. PLE staff and administration have been included in national and state literacy publications several times this year.
- Later this month we will be facilitating a national webinar pertaining to Comprehensive Literacy. This is one of several national webinars that PLE Staff and Administration have recently participated in. It is our goal to assist other educators and adminsitrators across the country.
- Pleasant Lake Elementary received one of only two awards that were handed out at the Reading Recovery State Conference this year.
- PLE Staff and Administration will be presenting at this year’s Oakland County Effective Practices Conference in June.
The entire Pleasant Lake Elementary Staff would like to thank you for assisting us in reaching our goal of continuous school improvement and providing your child with an exceptional education. We are proud of the work we have done but are always looking for ways to better service our school community. It is a true pleasure to have you and your child a part of the PLE School Community!
Together We Learn, Together We Lead!
Nayal A. Maktari
West Bloomfield, MI 48323
Main Line: 248-956-2800
Fax Line: 248-956-2805
Drop off: 8:50 AM
Late Bell: 8:55 AM
Dismissal: 3:58 PM
Departure: 4:05 PM
1/2 Day Departure: 12:09 PM