Clifford H. Smart Athletic Philosophy
Learning outcomes for our athletes who earn the opportunity to represent our school.
Enhancement of the following qualities:
- Sportsmanship and teamwork
- Positive leadership and communication skills
- Self-discipline, conditioning, and game concepts
- Goal setting and academic performance
- Confidence, poise, and meaningful relationships
Clifford H. Smart Athletic Eligibility Guidelines
The following must be true to be eligible for athletics:
Student-Athletes must have a 2.0 grade point average with no more than two failing grades (E).
Student-Athletes must have a minimum of a 2.5 average in Citizenship and be in good standing with building administration. Building administration can and will exclude athletes from participation if their behavior warrants it.
Eligibility grades are submitted each Thursday by Teachers; those grades will determine a Student-Athletes' eligibility for the following week.
Physical and Pay to Participate Requirements for middle school athletics.
- All student athletes must have a current physical on file in the main office to be permitted to tryout or practice. The physical must be dated after April 15 of previous school year in order to be valid for that school year. For example, a physical dated on or after April 15th of 2016 would be valid for the 2016-2017 school year.
- $200.00 Pay to participate fees are due prior to the first contest.
- Students must meet the athletic eligibility guidelines mentioned below throughout the season.
Pay to Participate Information:
You may send a check or pay online by logging on to Skyward Family Access. After you login, click on "optional payments" to make an online Pay to Participate payment.
Pay to Participate forms and financial assistance forms can be found on the district Pay to Participate page. Please contact Jennifer Henig, Walled Lake Athletics secretary, at 248-956-2014 with any Pay to Participate questions.
Athletes will only be transported to their competition with no return transportation. This is for all games both in-district and out-of-district. Athletes will need to arrange their own transportation home after a sporting contest. The coach will need a note indicating who the athlete will be riding home with, if other than their parent.