The Read by Grade Three Law
Being a good reader is critical for children to be successful in school. In 2016, the Michigan Legislature passed the Third Grade Reading Law to ensure that students exit third-grade reading at or above grade level.
The impact of this law began with the kindergarten class of 2017-2018. Walled Lake Schools educators immediately began a documented plan to assist these students and all of our early learners. This plan ensures that our current 2019-20 third-grade students are prepared for the state literacy assessment in the 2020 April/May timeframe.
In accordance with this law, and as a means of better informing classroom instruction, Walled Lake Schools has been providing K-3 reading assessments. These assessments identify students who need intensive reading instruction and intervention, and will also provide useful information to help teachers tailor instruction to meet individual student needs. (See summary of Curriculum and Instruction Implementation Plan below.)
Timeline for parent and community communication:
- Letter to third grade parents from Asst. Superintendent English (Jan. 2020)
- Letter to third grade parents from Asst. Superintendent Spanish (Jan. 2020)
- Letter to third grade parents from Asst. Superintendent Arabic (Jan. 2020)
- Letter to third grade parents from Asst. Superintendent Japanese (Jan. 2020)
- Third Grade Reading Law Board of Education Presentation (Jan. 9, 2020)
- Third Grade Reading Law Video for Curriculum Nights (Sept. 2019)
- Letter from Walled Lake Schools on Reading Retention Law. (Sent 2018-19 school year).
- The law also requires districts to provide early and regular written communication with parents of K-3 students with reading difficulties. Communication will include information about current services being provided, additional reading supports planned for your child, and a read-at-home plan for you to help your child at home.
- Reading Retention Michigan House Bill No. 4822
- I-Ready Reading Assessment that Walled Lake has been utilizing the past three years.
- K-3 literacy instruction in Walled Lake, includes this the Essential Instructional Practices in Early Literacy booklet.
WLCSD Proactive Curriculum and Instruction Implementation Plan summary:
- The District purchased new reading, writing and phonics units curriculum last year (for alignment of curriculum across WL). (2019)
- The District purchased Literacy Footprints Intervention Kits for kindergarten, first and second grade, for targeted intervention for students on plans.(kindergarten and second grade 2019, first grade 2017)
- Our Early Literacy Coach, is coaching our 12 elementary intervention paras on a weekly basis to support students on plans. (2018-present)
- ESL paras were trained in using our new Phonics curriculum with EL students on plans in grades K-3. (2019)
- Head Teachers/31A Specialists at 4 elementary schools are providing targeted supports to students on plans. (2019-20)
- The Learning Services Department is analyzing word study curriculum options for grades 3-5. (2020)
- Professional Learning sessions will be offered to teachers (grades K-5), necessary small group reading intervention. (2020)