Mary Helen Guest Elementary School
The mission of Mary Helen Guest Elementary School, in cooperation with the community, is to educate all children in a caring environment so that every student is a knowledgeable, resourceful, and self-reliant individual able to adapt and contribute productively to our changing society.
- A Michigan Reward School - High Progress & Beating the Odds school (outperformed other schools with similar demographics)
- First Title I school in WLCSD to be nominated as a Title I Distinguished School
- Our School Song: “We are the Champs”
- Our School Mascot: Wildcats
- First Oakland County School to receive a school-owned Therapy Dog
- Enrollment: Approximately 400 students
Guest Elementary is located in Walled Lake, Michigan and is part of the Walled Lake Consolidated School District. The original name of Mary Helen Guest Elementary was Decker Elementary. Our current building was originally built in 1955 with several additions occurring throughout the years. Most recently, our building benefitted from safety, security, and technology upgrades including reconfiguring our entryway, enhanced video surveillance, and emergency management systems. Along with these security upgrades, our classrooms were also equipped with updated technology including interactive whiteboards and sound systems in each classroom and several chromebook carts for classroom use. This new technology allows teachers to engage and enhance learning for all students. We are grateful for our community's support of the 2012 Safety, Security, and Technology bond proposal which made these upgrades possible.
Academically, Guest Elementary and the Walled Lake Consolidated School District provides a rigorous curriculum across all grades and subject areas. Our core beliefs about highly effective teaching and learning include:
- building positive relationships within a supportive classroom community
- relevant, engaging lessons that demonstrate the effective use of the formative assessment process
- strategic integration of instructional technology
- research-supported grading practices and assessments that reflect the belief that all students can demonstrate mastery with appropriate time and support
- adherence to a standards-aligned curriculum
Guest Elementary is also proud of our genuine partnership with our families. Parent volunteers are visible as you walk through the halls of our school. Our teachers and parents/guardians openly communicate and collaborate to support our children. Our PTA is a dynamic group of parents who help provide exciting opportunities for our children like assemblies, author visits, playground enhancements, field trips, and so much more!
Our teachers and staff at Guest Elementary are a dedicated group of educators. They see each and every child's strengths and work to support their growth, both academically and social-emotionally. They understand the tremendous influence they have as educators and work tirelessly to educate the whole child.
The best part of our school is our children. They live out our "Wildcat Pledge" each and every day - be respectful, be responsible, be resourceful, and be resilient. We are proud of our Guest students who come to school each day to learn, grow, and make our world a better place!
Building Contact Information
1655 Decker Road
Main Line: 248-956-3300
Drop off: 8:50 AM
Michelle Fiebke-Lang - Principal
Sherry Ikegami - Principal Secretary
Heather Pengelly - Building Secretary