Dear WLCSD Families:
Though in-person instruction is paused, our staff will continue to stay the course with virtual learning to connect, teach, and reach out to our students and families. We realize this poses continued challenges for families. We are here to meet the academic needs of our children, but also their social/emotional needs. Please reach out to staff and use the many resources in the social and emotional supports area on the website.
We are asking all parents to please: Take the necessary precautions.
Monitor your child’s health closely if they exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms, and get your child tested.
When in doubt, please take your child to see a physician.
You can find the most accessible, low-cost, time efficient testing by using the following link: Michigan.gov/coronavirus. You can also call the OCHD nurse on-call with questions –800-848-5533.
IMPORTANT DISTRICT UPDATES:
1. Literacy remains a focus in elementary schools: Third Grade Reading Law Family Letter
2. Superintendent Gutman's complete interview from the Oakland County Megacast (Nov. 17)
3. Updated FAQ link (call out that the update is that students, staff, families not required to quarantine after travel)
4. WLCSD COVID-19 dashboard
WLCSD FOUNDATION FOR EXCELLENCE:
Consider making a year end tax deductible donation to the Foundation for Excellence - Walled Lake Schools. View their You make the Difference message from community members advocating for FFE/WLCSD, and the Be Inspired message from Jen Phillips-Weckstein: WLCSD teacher, parent & FFE trustee.
· Jillian Petruno, WL Western senior, has committed to play division 1 Women's hockey with Sacred Heart University in Fairfield, CT.
· WL Central students who have committed to play a sport at the collegiate level include: Alexandru Diac, soccer at University of Detroit Mercy; Abbey Renner, soccer at Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis (IUPUI); Taya Hjorth, soccer at Florida State University; Isabelle Plautz, soccer at University of Purdue at Fort Wayne; and Abbey White, soccer at Valparaiso. The following girls have committed to play collegiate softball: Rylie Josephson at Wayne State University; Emma McGrath at Schoolcraft College; Britain Beshears at Michigan State University, and Eliana Eiland at Grand at Valley State University. There are many others and we will continue to honor our students.
· Michelle Fiebke-Lang being awarded Region 7, Principal of the Year by MEMPSA. Read more here.
· Bob Marijanovich, SHAPE Michigan Elementary Teacher of the Year, Keith Elementary, and Brad Scheck, SHAPE Michigan High School Teacher of the Year, WL Western High School. Read more and watch the virtual ceremony here.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT UPDATES:
· Community Food Drive on Nov. 21 at WL Central from 9 a.m. to noon organized by two teachers from WL Central. The items will go to Student Pantry and Hospitality House. If you are not able to stop by on 11/21 but are still interested in volunteering or making a donation to the Student Pantry or Hospitality House, visit the Student Pantry website, or the Hospitality House website.
· PTSA council meeting Mon., Nov. 23 at 7 p.m. via ZOOM. Use this link to register for the PTSA Council Meeting.
· Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) Nov. Newsletter
· Lakes Area Community Coalition (LACC) Nov. Newsletter
· Beginning Monday, Nov. 23, food distribution will only be available for curbside pick-up at WL Central and Wl Western. WLCSD Food Flyer
· Easter Seals of Michigan - School-Based Behavioral Health Services - this is access to social emotions resources.
· Walled Lake seniors from all three high schools are encouraged to apply for a Legacy Scholarship - Due Jan. 8, 2021
· Oakland Schools Educationally Speaking Podcast (How to support immigrant students)
· Girl Scouts Free Virtual Robot Building Party - Dec. 9
· Oakland County Parks, Fall Nature Education Programs
Although we know Thanksgiving will look different for many families this year, we want to thank our families for taking precautions to stop the spread of COVID. We wish all of our students, families and staff a safe and happy Thanksgiving!