Dear WLCSD Parents:
Planning for the 2021-22 school year is happening on many levels. It is our full intention to offer five days of in-person instruction for all students in the fall. Administrators are meeting and working on determining a virtual option that would continue into next year for those who choose it. All of this, of course, is predicated on a number of factors of which we have no control: the virus, the success/impact of vaccines on our schools/community, MDHHS orders, recommendations from the Governor’s Advisory Council, CDC recommendations and guidance, and our 2021-2022 budget from the State.
I hope our parents will participate in Kindergarten Orientation, Tuesday, March 2, High School Orientation on Monday, March 1, for eighth-grade parents, and Middle School Orientation, Tuesday, March 9, for sixth-grade parents. See the information and links below for details.
CALENDAR FOR THE 2021-22 SCHOOL YEAR:
We are working on the 2021-22 school year calendar, although is a negotiated item and we do not anticipate having a final calendar until late in the spring.
MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL ORIENTATIONS:
Please mark your calendars, and refer to your child’s school newsletters, for information on these important events:
• Monday, March 1, 2021, at 6:30 p.m. – WLC 8th Grade Parent Night, WLN 8th Grade Parent Night, WLW 8th Grade Parent Night
• Tuesday, March 9, 2021 – Middle School Orientations – These links will be available next week.
CALLING ALL PERFORMERS (band, orchestra, theatre, choir, dance and more!)
WLCSD is proud to announce the Wonders of Walled Lake Virtual Talent Showcase which provides a great opportunity for our K-12 students to perform by offering a virtual showcase for their talent. The audition video submissions deadline is March 5. See the Wonders of Walled Lake Virtual Talent Showcase page for more information or contact Matt Weber.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PARENTS
- Please complete the Parent Pact: In-Person Safety Standards Please complete a separate pact for each of your elementary children who will be attending in-person learning for the final trimester which starts March 15. The Parent Pact IS DUE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26 AT 5 p.m.
- Please complete the Face Mask Exemption Request Form Please complete only if your child has a medical condition that would prevent them from wearing a face mask while in school. THE EXEMPTION FORM IS DUE FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 26 AT 5 p.m.
- Kindergarten Orientation: The Walled Lake Consolidated School District is hosting Virtual Kindergarten Orientation for the 2021-22 school year. Each of the 12 Walled Lake Elementary Schools will host individual Zoom meetings on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, at 6:00 p.m.
- Elementary Parent Timeline: Note: Thursday and Friday, March 11-12 are asynchronous learning days for elementary children.
- Prime Time Care – Space is available at each of the Prime Time Care programs. All of the same safety protocols have been instituted and our children are thriving.
HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS:
Parents of senior athletes whose child has accepted a college invitation to play collegiate sports are requested to complete this Walled Lake Google Form for College Athletes. Signing Day events are being planned at each of the three high schools. Tentative dates for these recognition “Signing Day” events are: WL Central – May 11, WL Western – May 12 and WL Northern – May 19. More information will be sent to those participating.
High School Scholarship Opportunities:
- WLCSD PTSA Council Irene Daniels Scholarship
- Evans Golf Scholarship
- 2021 Metro Bureau Scholarship Award
CONGRATULATIONS & THANK YOU TO:
- The WL United Boys SBX team for placing first in states. Detroit News article, Spinal Column article
- Dillon Fulcher, WL Central, who placed first in states for SBX individuals.
- Lucy Gallagher, WL Central, who placed third in states for SBX individuals.
- Forensics finalists and semi-finalists from WL Western at the 4th annual Spartan Invitational: Sophia Burkmyre, Grace Lahti, Julia Kassab, Jackie Roach, Ally Kuch, Manjari Bhat, Tyler LaPointe, Kyra Wong, Emma Abbott, Jordan Baetz, Emily Moore, Ahmed Abusabib and Shannon Burkel.
- Fabian Martinez, Loon Lake, on his story on sharing Valentine love on Fox 2 Detroit.
IMPORTANT DISTRICT LINKS:
- Chromebook Distribution: At the WLCSD District Office, 850 Ladd Road, Bldg. D, Room 900, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
IMPORTANT COMMUNITY LINKS:
Thank you for your support as together we provide learning opportunities for Every Child, Every Day!
Superintendent of Schools