Alternative Academic Options
Flex and Edgenuity (e2020) Classes
Edgenuity (e2020) is a powerful online course management tool that will enable Walled Lake Consolidated Schools to offer a variety of learning options to its students, both as a credit recovery alternative and as an enhancement to already existing curriculum. Edgenuity offers multimedia presentations on a variety of different topics that will offer our students different access points to information, supporting the concept of Universal Design for Learning.
The Edgenuity Educational Model for Learning embeds the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) in its foundational framework. Edgenuity’s team of highly-qualified teachers, instructional designers, and content-area experts prepares for and constructs unique course scopes and sequences by layering UDL principles with Quality Standards for Online Courses in accordance with the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) and conducting research on state and national standards.
Edgenuity then designs each lesson with student-centered objectives that maximize the use of Bloom’s Taxonomy of Learning Domains. Lessons are designed in order to provide the student with an optimal learning experience that is unique for each course. Students progress through the lesson with a series of activities such as, direct instruction videos by certified teachers; vocabulary instruction; interactive lab simulations; journals and essay writing; 21st century skill activities that include projects, design proposals, case studies, on-line content reading; and homework/practice before being assessed with a quiz. Topic test and cumulative exam reviews are provided to reinforce mastery prior to students’ taking summative assessments.
- Prescriptive, formative and summative assessments: Students receive randomized test items that are aligned to the lesson's objectives even after customized content changes are made.
- Individualized study plans: Create an optional prescriptive curriculum that only assigns the content that has not yet been mastered.
- Direct Instruction: Highly-qualified teacher in every lesson presents content in video-lecture segments and visual whiteboard displays.
- On-demand feedback: Students receive immediate feedback during activities and can track progress and performance on their home screen.
- eWriting and eNotes: Using the Six Traits of Writing rubric, writing and note-taking opportunities are integrated into each lesson.
- Show Me Tutorials: Students can elect to receive additional support from a new teacher-tutorial during homework practice.
- Integrated online content: Media-rich sites supplement additional content to apply concepts, engage learners and extend instruction.