College and Post-Secondary Information
College Application Process / Transcripts
1. Make sure you have registered and set up your own account on parchment.com. First and last names, birth date and YOUR graduation year must match Northern's school records.
2. Complete all college applications online. You can use the Media Center or Career Room computers if you don't have computer access at home.
3. Complete the transcript request and hand in a College Application Router Form for EACH COLLEGE you have already applied to on Parchment.com. These forms can be found in the Counseling Office or on the link below.
Transcripts requests are processed several times weekly.
How to Ace Your Admission Interview
BRAG sheet - Students must complete this form and hand in to any staff member for letter of recommendation and/or scholarships.
ACT and SAT- everything you wanted to know
Checklist for College Planning
College Admissions Essays- tips and suggestions
5 biggest mistakes in college applications - Video on "How to Avoid Common Mistakes" when completing college applications.
Walled Lake Northern College Visits
College visits here at WLN are a chance for interested students to meet admission representatives from many colleges and universities across the country. These representatives are often the ones who review our WLN student applications for admittance to their institutions. By attending these sessions, you will begin to cultivate a relationship with the admission representatives, be able to ask questions, learn about majors, campus life and much more.
- All sessions are open to Juniors and Seniors ONLY.
- Do NOT sign up for more than a reasonable amount of sessions (5 or less); we cannot have you out of class frequently.
- You are responsible for all work missed in class.
- All attendance is reported to Staff and the Attendance Office.
- We are using Google Forms again this year for the sign up purposes.
- There are separate Google Forms for EACH college session.
- Students must sign up using their student Google email accounts; personal email accounts will not work nor can parents sign up on behalf of their students.
- Students will be sent a hall pass prior to the session to be excused from class; bring the pass to the session.
- Google Forms for each college will be closed to responses when available spots are filled and/or a minimum of a day in advance.
- Waitlists will be taken for sessions that are filled; stop by the Career Room to inquire.
- Stop by Career Room to be removed from a session to open the spot up for others.
- Onsite Admissions:
- The WLN College Visit Schedule lists which colleges will be conducting onsite admissions reviews for Seniors. Please come to the Career Room for more information
Walled Lake Northern College Visits - includes individual links to all college visit sign-ups
Choosing a College
College and Post-Secondary Options
Use the links below to aid in the process of choosing the right college
Average ACT and GPA admission scores for Michigan Colleges
What's New at Public Universities - Information on new points of pride at Michigan Universities
Article: Speaking with your child and their counselor about colleges. - This short article highlights some suggestions for topics to discuss with your child and when to set up a meeting with your child's counselor
Thinking of Playing a College Sport? Please look over the NCAA website and follow through on all the prompts.You also should set up an appointment with your counselor to discuss your plans. Do so right away!
Additional NCAA Links:
All college-bound prospective athletes must register with the NCAA Clearinghouse. There is a fee that must be paid. Please print all release forms and bring them into the Counseling Office.
Educational Resources - The following resources are designed for high school student-athletes, parents, coaches, and others who help students successfully navigate the initial-eligibility process.
Walled Lake Northern courses approved by NCAA - Use code 230689
NCAA Division I Initial-Elgibility Toolkit
NCAA Frequently Asked Questions
Determine Your Eligibility - Instructions and worksheets to assist you with monitoring your progress in meeting NCAA initial-eligibility standards.
Initial Eligbility for Students with Disabilities - Information for students with disabilities.