Class of 2019
April 2019 Senior Parent Letter
CONGRATULATIONS SENIORS AND PARENTS – CLASS OF 2019!
Dear Parents of Graduating Seniors:
Below is important information regarding senior events for the remainder of the year. I encourage you to frequently access our Class of 2019 webpage http://wlcsd.org/schools/high-school/western-hs/students/class-of-2019 for the latest event details as they are updated. We hope this timeline will help make the coming weeks a little easier; we know how hectic life can be with a graduating senior!
If your student has been awarded a scholarship, please contact Mrs. Kathy DeYonker, Assistant Principals’ Secretary at email@example.com, so that his/her award may be formally recognized in the 2019 Commencement Program.
Monday, May 20
Senior Exams: During 5th & 6th Hours (Full day of school for all students.)
Senior Honors & Awards Ceremony: 6:30 p.m., Auditorium Parents/family members are cordially invited to attend this special evening in recognition of the Class of 2019. Students being formally recognized will receive an individual invitation via US Mail.
Tuesday, May 21
Senior Exams: During 3rd & 4th Hours (Full day of school for all students.)
Senior Locker Clean-Out
Commencement Rehearsal- SENIORS REQUIRED TO ATTEND: During 5th & 6th Hours (12:30-2:10 pm)–Auditorium & Gym
Students are advised to make any special arrangements necessary (employers, etc.) in order to be at Walled Lake Western for rehearsal. Parents, please assist us in making sure your student has made arrangements to participate in this mandatory rehearsal.
Wednesday, May 22
Senior Exams: During 1st & 2nd Hours (Seniors released at 9:23 a.m.)
Senior BBQ: 10:30 a.m.–12:00 noon-Watson Field. Senior students provide and prepare all barbeque items; including, food, beverages, grills, paper products, utensils, etc. Students should bring their ID card for entry.
Thursday, May 23
Final Determination of Graduation Eligibility/Credit Status
Senior Complimentary Brunch: 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.-Auxiliary Gym
Senior Celebration: 12:45 p.m.-Gymnasium SENIORS REQUIRED TO ATTEND
Parents of our seniors are welcome and encouraged to attend this all-school assembly honoring the Class of 2019!
Friday, May 24 – District-Wide AM Half-Day
Seniors’ Last Day!
Cap, Gown and Complimentary Commencement Tickets (2) Distribution: 7:30-9:30 a.m.- Auditorium SENIORS REQUIRED TO ATTEND
Seniors will not receive their complimentary commencement tickets (2) nor cap & gown until all fines/fees are paid, textbooks are returned and final grades have been determined. All fines and fees must be paid on or before May 24th in the form of cash or money order (personal checks will not be accepted) or via Family Access/E-Funds. Honors students will receive their collars at this time as well. (NHS students will receive their cords from Mrs. Santana prior to May 24th.)
Prom: 6:30 p.m.–11:00 p.m.–The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn. Class sponsors, Ms. Amy Knapp and Ms. Ania Zakrzewski will begin ticket sales after school on April 22nd. Cost is $75. Students must have purchased a ticket, submitted a signed contract and, if applicable, an approved guest contract, in order to attend. Tickets will not be sold at the door.
Sunday, June 2
Commencement - EMU’s Convocation Center – 1:00 p.m.
Ceremony: All seniors must report to Eastern Michigan University’s Convocation Center by 12:00 p.m. in proper attire. Proper attire for girls is dress shoes (preferably white) with a skirt and blouse, dress slacks or dress. Proper attire for boys is dress shoes, dress slacks and dress shirts. Only students who have fulfilled all graduation requirements may participate in the Commencement Ceremony. Students deficient in credits are not permitted to walk in the procession.
Tickets: Guest and family seating is general admission. Tickets are required. Each graduating senior will receive two (2) general admission tickets free of charge. These complimentary tickets will be issued to the seniors at the time of cap and gown distribution on May 24th. Additional tickets may be purchased at a cost of $5 each. The purchase of tickets is handled entirely through Eastern Michigan University and may be ordered by contacting EMU’s ticket office at (734) 487-2282 or online at www.emutix.com. Handicapped seating is available and requires a general admission ticket. Suite-style booths, which accommodate groups of up to twenty guests, are also available (on a limited basis) at a cost of $300. For suite reservations, contact Mr. Ron Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (734) 487-0187.
Diploma Distribution: Diplomas should be picked up, by the graduate, in the Convocation Center’s Auxiliary Gymnasium immediately following the Commencement Ceremony. Honors graduates will turn in their collars at that time. NHS graduates may keep their cords. If diplomas are not picked up at the Convocation Center, they will be held in Western’s Main Office, and available for pick-up between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., during the week of June 2nd - June 6th.
Senior All-Night Party:
11:00 p.m.–5:00 a.m. – High Velocity Sports, Canton
Roundtrip bus transportation is provided from/to Western. Check-in begins at 10:00 p.m. Tickets are $75 per student and require a signed contract. Contracts are available every Wednesday during all lunches. Tickets will not be available at the door. Students may not leave and reenter the party for any reason. For additional information join our Facebook group, WLW Class of 2019 Parents Page or contact the party chairpersons; Mrs. Amy White, Alleytone39@aol.com, or Mrs. Stacey DeRoche at email@example.com
Book Deposits: If your student has officially graduated from WLW, and has no outstanding fines or fees, you should expect a $40.00 book deposit refund. All efforts will be made to get those checks processed and mailed to you during the Month of August. For record keeping purposes, these checks are made out to the student. If your student has outstanding fines or fees, they will have until October 1, 2019 to clear the fees. Book deposits will be forfeited after October 1, 2019.
May 2019 Parent Letter
Dear Parents, Relatives and Friends of the Class of 2019:
The students and faculty of Walled Lake Western High School wish to present a memorable, yet dignified, graduation ceremony for the Class of 2019. Realizing this goal will require the full cooperation of all participants and spectators. With this in mind, we’d like to bring the following information to your attention:
- On Sunday, June 2, 2019, the doors to Eastern Michigan University’s Convocation Center, 799 N. Hewitt Rd., Ypsilanti, MI 48197 (see map/directions on reverse side), will open, for general seating, at 12:00 p.m. We ask that students arrive by 12:00 p.m. Access to the guest seating area will not be available before 12:00 p.m. Western’s Commencement Ceremony begins promptly at 1:00 p.m.
- Our ceremony requires tickets for admission. Two (2) complimentary admission tickets will be issued to each graduating senior on May 24th, at school, during cap and gown distribution. Additional tickets may be purchased, at a cost of $5.00 each directly from Eastern Michigan University by contacting their ticket office at (734) 487-2282 or online at www.emutix.com (a $1.00/ticket handling fee is also assessed). Handicapped seating requires a ticket as well.
- VIP suite-style booths are available for rent, on a limited basis, at a cost of $300.00. The suites accommodate groups of up to twenty (20) people. Suite reservation arrangements and questions regarding their availability are handled entirely through the University. Please contact Mr. Ron Reid, of Eastern Michigan University’s Convocation Center, at (734) 487-0187 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for details and/or reservations.
- Your group should arrive, and proceed to seats of your choice, together. Although tickets are required for each person in your group, seating is general admission. EMU’s security personnel will not allow you to save rows of seats for additional expected guests or late arrivals. EMU has initiated a security screening policy which entails the use of hand-held detectors for every guest.
- Please remember that Commencement is a formal ceremony. We rely on you to help us uphold the dignity and decorum of this special occasion. We remind you that your celebrations and verbal expressions of the pride you feel for your student’s achievements, must occur after, not during, this ceremony. Please respect the student and student’s family whose name is being announced immediately following your son or daughter.
- Know that noisemakers of any kind (air horns, whistles, thunder sticks, etc.) are strictly prohibited. Movie cameras and video recording equipment are prohibited in the Convocation Center. Regular cameras are permitted, provided there is no flash photography. Additionally, we ask that you remain in your seats throughout the entire ceremony.
Refer to the enclosed, “Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions”, for additional information regarding cap, gown, complimentary ticket distribution, graduation rehearsal, Senior Celebration and Commencement.
Please accept my sincerest congratulations on this important milestone in your teen’s life. I look forward to celebrating this accomplishment with you on Sunday, June 2nd!
Walled Lake Western High School’s Class of 2019
EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY
Sunday, June 2, 2019 – 1:00 p.m.
ANSWERS TO THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: I did not earn all of the credits needed to graduate. May I still participate in the Commencement Ceremony?
A: No; you may not. If you earned less than the required number of credits, in the proper categories, you are not a graduate; therefore, you may not participate in the ceremony.
Q: Must I participate in the Commencement Ceremony to receive my diploma?
A: No. Your diploma will be available for pick-up, during regular office hours, through June 30th. More importantly, this is a big event for your family, friends, and teachers; it will mean a great deal to them to see you walk.
Q: I won't be able to attend Commencement Rehearsal on May 21st because I have something important to do. May I still participate in the ceremony?
A: No. Rehearsal is mandatory. If you do not attend rehearsal, you will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony.
Q: Where will the graduation ceremony be held?
A: Eastern Michigan University Convocation Center
799 N. Hewitt Road
Ypsilanti, MI 48197
You are to report to EMU’s Convocation Center’s Auxiliary Gym by 12:00 p.m. on June 2nd. Attendance will be taken and the graduates will be assembled. Leave plenty of time to allow for traffic. (Map on reverse side.)
Q: I have invited a lot of guests to my graduation. Do I need tickets?
A: Yes. You will receive two (2) complimentary tickets, during cap and gown distribution, at school, on May 24th. Additional tickets may be purchased, at a cost of $5.00 each, through EMU’s ticket office, by visiting www.emutix.com or by calling (734) 487-2282. A $1.00/ticket handling fee is also assessed. Seats are general admission. Guest access to the seating area will be available no earlier than 12:00 p.m.
VIP suite-style booths are available for rent, on a limited basis, at a cost of $300.00. The suites accommodate groups of up to twenty (20) people. Suite reservation arrangements and questions regarding their availability are handled entirely through the University. Please contact Mr. Ron Reid, of Eastern Michigan University’s Convocation Center, at (734) 487-0187, or by email at email@example.com for details and/or reservations.
Q: One of my relatives is handicapped. Are there special accommodations for the physically challenged?
A: The EMU Convocation Center complies with all local, state, and Federal laws that pertain to the physically challenged. Please be aware, University officials will allow only one family member to accompany a handicapped person to the appropriate area. A general admission ticket is required.
Q: Should my family bring air horns, whistles, thunder sticks, and other noisemakers to celebrate when my name is called?
A: No. Commencement is a formal, dignified ceremony, not a party atmosphere. Noisemakers detract from the proceedings, and prevent other parents from hearing their graduate’s name when it is called. Further, the EMU security guards will evict anyone who uses a noisemaker.
Q: What is the school’s dress code for Commencement?
A: Girls: dress shoes, dress slacks, skirt and blouse or dress. Boys: dress shoes, dress slacks, white or light colored dress shirt with a tie. Shorts, gym shoes, flip-flops, and other types of athletic wear are prohibited. Those who violate the dress code may be turned away and not allowed to participate in the Commencement Ceremony.
Q: What is the May 23rd Senior Brunch & Senior Celebration? Am I expected to attend?
A: A complimentary Senior Brunch will be served from 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., in your honor, in the auxiliary gym. Your class sponsors and parent volunteers would like to congratulate you and have arranged for a delicious meal just for you. Senior Celebration is an all-school assembly in honor of the Class of 2019 which begins at 12:45 p.m. The celebration will highlight the achievements and history of the senior class; featuring a slideshow presentation, music and awards. Following the brunch, you are to remain in the gymnasium commons area to be assembled, by no later than 12:30 p.m. All graduating seniors are expected to attend and parents are welcome and encouraged to attend as well!
Q: What happens on the Seniors’ Last Day of School, Friday, May 24th?
A: Beginning at 7:30 a.m. on Friday, May 24th, you will be cleared for graduation by verifying your credit status, determining all books have been returned and any outstanding fees and fines have been satisfied. You will enter the auditorium to receive your cap, gown, two complimentary Commencement Ceremony tickets, a reader card to be brought with you to Commencement, and an honors collar, if applicable. NHS seniors should have obtained their cords from Mrs. Santana prior to May 24th. You are required to attend this event.
Visit the Senior Class Website for detailed information including key dates, fundraisers, and other pertinent information for the Class of 2019.
Senior Calendar (Printable)
The following dates, of upcoming senior events, are provided as a reference:
- Monday, May 20, 2019
- Senior 5th & 6th Hour Exams–Full Day of School
- Senior Awards Ceremony, by Invitation-6:30 p.m., Auditorium
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019
- Senior 3rd & 4th Hour Exams
- Commencement Rehearsal-12:30 p.m. Mandatory Attendance
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- Senior 1st & 2nd Hour Exams
- Student-Led Senior BBQ-10:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Thursday, May 23, 2019
- Senior Complimentary Brunch-10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m., Auxiliary Gym
- Senior Celebration All-School Assembly-12:45 p.m., Gym Mandatory Attendance
- Friday, May 24, 2019
- Student Half-Day; 10:28am Dismissal-All Students
- Seniors’ Last Day Mandatory Attendance
- Cap & Gown Distribution-7:30 a.m.–9:30 a.m., Auditorium Mandatory Attendance
- Prom–6:30-11:00 p.m., Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn (Ticket and Contract Required)
- Non-Western students must submit a Prom Guest Contract
- Sunday, June 2, 2019
- Graduation/Commencement Ceremony (EMU Convocation Center)-1:00 p.m.
- Senior All-Night Party–Sunday, June 2nd-11:00 p.m.-5:00 a.m. Monday, June 3rd - High Velocity Sports, Canton (Pre-Paid Ticket and Contract Required)
- Tuesday, June 18, 2019
- Marking Period 4/Semester 2 Report Cards Available to View via Family Access (by end of day)