Vasileff Award/Scholar-Athlete Award
Each year Geisler Middle School presents one boy in 7th and 8th grade and one girl in 7th and 8th grade.
To be eligible* for the award a student-athlete must:
- Successfully complete a minimum of two athletics seasons**
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher each of the first three quarters of the year.
- Once this list is established, coaches rank the student-athletes in four categories:
- athletic accomplishments,
- Each of these four categories are averaged and weighted at face value. The scale used is a 1-5, with five being high and one being low. The number of seasons an athlete successfully completes is also weighted at face value x 2. GPA is also added at face value x 3. Thus an example for a fictitious student is below.
Played in 2 sports, had a 3.5 average GPA x 3 for a score of 10.5, had an average of 4, 4.5, 3, and 3.5 ranking in the four coaches categories for a total of 15. The total score for this fictitious student-athlete would be 4 + 10.5 + 15 = 29.5. Top student in each grade and gender earn the award.
*Students with disciplinary infractions may be removed from consideration.