2020-2021 Limited In Person Information
Please refer to our Return to Limited In Person Parent Handbook and Student Handbook. These documents will answer many of the questions you have if your child is returning to brick + mortar school for the second semester. As school will look much different when we return, it is critical that the handbooks are reviewed by both parents and students, so that our new protocols are understood. CRITICAL INFORMATION from the parent handbook is listed below. Our new protocols are in place to keep our school community as safe as possible!
Please reach out if you have any questions. Our GMS staff appreciates your support and kindness!
Our first in person cohort (last names A - K) will report to school on January 20!
LIMITED IN PERSON: PARENT AND STUDENT HANDBOOKS
CRITICAL INFORMATION FOR LIMITED IN PERSON
The following are highlights from the Return to Limited In Person Parent Handbook. If your child is returning to school, these are extremely important items to know:
- Parents must screen their children at home before school using this form: COVID-19 Screening Form.
- Students must bring either a personal or district device and power cord back and forth to school. The device and power cord should be labeled with their name. If you have a district Chromebook, do not remove the district label.
- CALENDAR: WLCSD Second Semester A/B Block + Rotating Limited In Person Cohort Calendar: Students will attend school on their last name cohort day. They will report to their A or B block days. For example, on January 20, students with the last names A-K will report to their A day classes. On January 20, students with the last names L-Z will stay home and remote into their A day classes.
- Students may not exit their cars in the drop off loop until 8:05 AM. No exceptions.
- Students must be picked up by 2:05. No exceptions.
- Students exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms at school will be expected to be picked up immediately.
- If a student is not feeling well at home before school, they should stay home. Students who stay home on a limited in person day can Zoom/Google Meet into their classes if they feel well enough to do so. They will not be marked absent if they are in the full class period remotely.
- Parents only need to call the attendance line if their child will be absent from both in person school and Zoom/Google Meet.
- If your child has an underlying health condition that causes COVID-19 symptoms (cough, sneezing, headache, nausea, etc.) you will need to have a medical note on file with the office. Please send these to email@example.com. If a child exhibits any COVID-19 symptom, and we do not have a note on file, the student will be sent home and the district COVID-19 policy will be followed.
- Masks are mandatory. A clean mask is needed each day. Students should have a backup clean mask with them each day. Students will receive a mask lanyard at school.
- Social distancing is mandatory when the environment allows for it.
- Parents and visitors will not be allowed in the school building past the main entrance vestibule. Do not drop off non-essential items.
- Hot lunch and breakfast will be available for FREE if a student takes a FULL lunch. If a student chooses not to take a FULL lunch or breakfast, they will have to pay a la carte prices.
- Students may bring a water bottle. We suggest that students bring a water bottle with a straw.
- Students will not have a locker. Backpacks will be allowed. Students will carry all of their items with them, including their cell phone and lunch.
- Cell phones should be powered off.
- Students will clean their desks and lunch tables with school-use-approved disinfecting wipes.
- Students will be separated by clear partitions in the classrooms and at the cafeteria tables.
LIMITED IN PERSON--DO YOU NEED A DISTRICT CHROMEBOOK?
If your child has been using a desktop at home or other device that they cannot bring to school, please make arrangements to come to our Educational Service Center (850 Ladd Rd Building D) to check out a district Chromebook. We are open Tuesdays and Thursdays 8am-4pm. We are not a 1-to-1 district, so if students have a personal device to bring, they should not check out a district Chromebook. Also, if they received a new device over the holidays, they can return the district Chromebook at our ESC on the same days and times for check out.
Each classroom will have one empty Chromebook cart for charging purposes. We will NOT have classroom sets of Chromebooks. All students need to bring a device to and from school on the days they attend.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
SECOND SEMESTER SCHEDULES
Our goal is to have second semester schedules available for you in Skyward by the end of the day on January 15. Please note that your child will most likely have different teachers for many of their classes. This will mean that they will receive new Google Classroom invitations for the second semester.
SIXTH GRADE ORIENTATION?
As our 6th graders visited Geisler last March for orientation, we will not be offering a 6th grade orientation prior to the start of the second semester. We will make sure that our 6th graders and new students are welcomed and feel comfortable at GMS!
Bus schedule information will be forthcoming.